Get ready to wave those royal flags! From the 2nd - 5th June 2022, the nation will join together to celebrate the Queen’s platinum jubilee.
Acknowledging 70 years of service, Queen Elizabeth is officially the longest reigning monarch in history!
Throughout the month of June, there will be some amazing events taking place up and down the country, throughout the Commonwealth and across the globe. Help to celebrate Her Majesty’s historic reign by looking out for some of the many activities happening in your local community.
Here are some fun facts about our amazing Queen, as well as more on what you can expect over this fun filled, extended bank holiday weekend celebration.
Seven Royal Facts to Amaze
- Did you know that The Queen has two birthdays? Lucky her! Her official birthday (celebrated by the public) is usually held on the second Saturday in June, whilst her real birthday (the date she was born) falls on the 21st April.
- Trooping the colour is a fantastic military parade that has been held annually in London for over 200 years, to honour the Queen’s official birthday. As well as a magnificent display of military officers, horses and musicians, this year the Queen herself will take part in the parade, escorted by a horse drawn carriage, whilst members of the Royal family watch from the balcony at Buckingham Palace. At 1pm the RAF will perform a special flypast over the palace. If you are lucky enough, you may have tickets to this once in a lifetime event. But don’t worry if you don’t as you will be able to watch it all on TV, without the crowds, from the comfort of your own home.
- Traditionally, a jubilee event is celebrated with a street party, the origins of which date back to the end of the 1st World War. Designed as a special treat for children as part of the country's peace celebrations, these days they can be very elaborate affairs with the whole street often taking part. Guests bring delicious food, traditional bakes and put on games for the youngsters to enjoy.
- Celebrate this historic occasion with some traditional Union Jack and patriotic red, white and blue themed decorations. Trim up your home or garden with bunting, flags, streamers, tableware and British themed accessories, for an occasion to remember!
- The Royal Mint has designed a special commemorative 50 pence piece to celebrate this amazing milestone. Featuring a bold, graphic design, it will make a great keepsake and collectors piece.
- All primary school aged children in the UK will receive a free book to mark the Queen's Jubilee. This inspiring, educational book will include information on the role of the monarch as well as teaching them about historic landmark achievements oer the past 70 years, including the construction of the channel tunnel, election of the first female Prime Minister and the invention of the World Wide Web, to name a few.
- On Saturday the 4th June, viewers will be treated to a spectacular ‘Party at the Palace’ event. Broadcast live on TV, it will feature a host of famous entertainers and musicians, with the Queen also in attendance.
Kids Craft - Create a Regal Paper Crown
To help get you in the party mood, why not craft your very own paper crown, complete with dazzling jewels, to help bring some regal splendour to the occasion.
This easy peasy version is so simple to make and stunningly effective - the perfect headwear to celebrate in style. And, with hardly any cutting involved, it’s perfect for younger crafters too.
You will need:
- 8 x square sheets of paper
- Scissors (optional)
- Recycled tin foil, bottle tops
- Paints - gold/silver or any colour of your choice
- Paint brushes
Ready, Steady, Make:
- Take a square piece of paper and fold it in half on the diagonal. Unfold it and then fold the right and left hand sides inwards to meet in the middle as shown:
- Take the triangular flap at the bottom and fold it upwards, then fold the tip downwards, so that you have a straight edge, like so:
- Fold this section upwards to that you are left with a shape that looks like a sailing yacht.
4, Repeat steps 1-3 with the remaining 7 pieces of paper, so that you are left with 8 identical yacht shaped pieces in total.
- Slot each piece together, one by one, until all pieces are joined together. No messy glue or tape required! Then join the two end pieces together to make your crown shape. Ta da!
- Now you can get busy decorating your magnifiscnt masterpiece. You can use paints, glitter, pieces of shiny paper cut into shapes, sequins or stick on jewels. Let little imaginations run wild. The more elaborate the better! Finish off with some strips of ribbon, for a stunning effect.
Patriotic Toys to Entertain
For little ones, why not get them into the spirit of the occasion with some London themed toys to inspire and educate.
Top of our list, how about this smart, iconic London bus, handpainted in bright red hues. Crafted from solid ruberwood, this sturdy ride is Jam packed with features from the double decker seating, rubber wheels and lift off roof. Little riders are sure to explore the big city in style.
For transport lovers, the London wooden toy car set is a must have. A true classic, it is ideal for small world play. Comprising 7 London themed vehicles in colourful colours, this timeless toy set will inspire creative play, for day after day adventures.
Little locomotive enthusiasts will adore the London Train Set. A journey of discovery awaits with this striking 120 piece set, lovingly made from solid wood. Fit together the wooden track to create your own unique route, with many sights to spot as they journey through the big smoke!
Or how about the Royal Express Wooden Train Set? Ready to whisk away regal guests and VIP’s, this bumper toy features a whopping 180 pieces. With two connectible engines and carriages, extensive tracks, bridges, a crane, shops and even a ferris wheel, this timeless treasure is built for endless play possibilities.
For budding princes and princesses in the making, the Palace Dolls House is a surefire winner. This stunning mansion makes a wonderful heirloom gift to treasure. Fit for royalty, this award winning toy offers the ultimate in luxury miniature living. Set across no less than 5 storeys, there’s so much to discover, from the 8 individually decorated feature rooms, elegant grand staircase and lift up roof space.
You can shop our full collection of sustainable wooden toys and treasures at our online store. From early learning, traditional dolls houses, classic toys, roleplay and play foods, children’s furniture and more. Our beloved curation is waiting to be discovered, with unique pieces that inspire the magic of childhood, through a lifetime of play.
Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to stay in the loop on all things Le Toy Van by signing up to our newsletter. Don’t forget to come and say hello over on Instagram too @letoyvantoys.
A little bit about us
We’re Le Toy Van. A big hearted, honest talking family business with a lifelong passion for creating traditional wooden toys.
Georges Le Van, our founder, created the first ever Le Toy Van toy, our beloved wooden Dolls House, over 25 years ago.
Our team of talented toy makers design right here in the UK. And, we only partner with ethical manufacturers where every piece is mindfully made, crafted from solid, repurposed wood. Read the full story.